30/01/19 - 21:29 Filed in: Drone
What is a Drone?
A Drone is basically an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). Now widely available to almost everyone & 'easy' to fly.
Over the last decade Drones have become vastly popular. With the stunning advancement of technology coupled with a cost that appeals too many wallets, Drones can be seen mostly everywhere we go.
So, to understand the logic of the way forward & the integration of safe usage, lets start by explaining a little about Drone terminology.
Drone terminology is something that should be understood up front as this will make the understanding of the regulations easier.
‘Drone’ is probably the most commonly known term but is a very generalized name. There are a number of different terms used in the rules & regs, so lets get to them.
Also known as:
- UAV – Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- UAS – Unmanned Aerial System (refers to the general complete package – Transmitter, Receivers, Vehicle etc.)
- RPA – Remotely Piloted Aircraft
- RPAS – Remotely Piloted Aircraft System
- RPV - Remotely Piloted Vehicle
For ease of reading, we will stay with the term ‘Drone’ for now.